Unit European and Multilateral Affairs
Brussels International also develops the relations with international networks of which the Brussels-Capital Region is a member:
- the Assembly of European Regions,
- Global Fund for Cities Development,
- Capital Cities & Regions Network.
Brussels International also coordinates the relations with the international organisations in which the Brussels-Capital Region is represented as a federated entity (e.g., the Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Benelux, Council of Europe (CoE) and several agencies of the United Nations) and participates in the inter-federal consultation mechanisms for all multilateral policy matters.
Brussels International is also in charge of the signing and ratification procedures for European and international treaties which relate to regional competences .
The Region is also regularly called upon to contribute to reports relating to
The Region is also asked to regularly contribute to reports relating to its competences.
This unit fulfils three key tasks at European level:
- coordinating implementation of EU law into regional law (transpositions, violations, and so on),
- transversal European dossiers (European Semester, Multiannual Financial Framework,…),
- ensuring the follow-up of European programmes and networks in order to boost the BCR’s participation.